Oak Street

Oak Street - 1907
Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Library of Congress Digital Archives

The source image is in the public domain. All metadata may be used with attribution. CC-BY License  chattanoogahistory.COM Creative Commons License

The History of the Patten House

The Italian styled villa house was designed and built in 1893 by Samuel M. Patton for the family of Charles Lyerly , a captain in the Confederate Army. One of Chattanooga's most distinguished architects of the time, Patton was also the designer of another home in the Fort Wood District, the Watkins House which is located at 801 Vine Street.

In 1925, Charles Lyerly died and the residence was left to his daughter, Mrs. Helen Lyerly Patten, who then occupied the house with her husband, Zeboim Charles Patten. Zeboim started the Chattanooga Chemistry Company (now called Chattem - maker of various products such as Bullfrog and Gold Bond), and their daughter, Dorothy Patten. Zeboim Patten, along with other members of the Patten family, served on the Board of Trustees for The University of Chattanooga for several years. His father, Dr. John A. Patten, attended Grant University and was on the committee that helped to raise the endowment for the University of Chattanooga.

The Patten Chapel was built and is named in his honor. At the passing of Zeboim Charles Patten in 1948, the house was bequeathed to the University of Chattanooga.
SOURCE: UTC Alumni Affairs website. Retrieved from: LINK

Dorothy Patten

Source: Belvidere Daily Republican

She grew up at 801 Oak Street. Against her father's wishes she left to pursue theater in New York City. Ms. Patten appeared in over 30 Broadway plays, countless touring and summer stock productions.

Her generous donations to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga include the Patten House, and the Dorothy Patten Fine Arts Series: bringing nationally and internationally renowned artists to the University community and the Chattanooga area.