The Read House shown as it appeared in 1914 on West 9th Street (now M. L. King Boulevard) between Broad and Chestnut Street. It was built in 1871 by John Thomas Read. The "old" Read House was razed and a new ten story one was built in 1925-1926. In 1962, a 'Motor Inn' was added. Since 2004, the hotel is owned and operated by Starwood Hotel and Resorts as a member of the Sheraton family.
The Read House was built on the site of the former Crutchfield House (1847). The location was strategic in that it was directly across from the rail terminal as the city grew to become a major railroad hub.