Glass Plate Negatives | Set 8

Select from Images Below

Glass Plate Negatives, Set 8

Chattanooga Glass Plate Collection

Mrs. Woodworth in 'Full Mourning'

In the late 19th Century, widows followed a Victorian protocol. For the first year, a woman who was in ‘full mourning’ was not allowed to exit her home without full black attire and a weeping veil.

I identified the unique monuments as from the Chattanooga National Cemetery. Today’s view is dramatically different - and contains many more graves. One in particular at that location matches the likely time frame. George B. Woodworth lived on Payne Street, a few doors down from our likely photographer, Charles G. Walline. He served in the Civil War as a musician in Co.H, 12th PA Infantry.

On January 11th, 1897 - at age 59, he dressed himself with care, lay down on the floor, and shot himself in the head. ‘Temporary insanity due to business troubles’ was reported as the cause. Even more tragically - his son Frank H. Woodworth, a local hardware merchant, would make a failed suicide attempt in the same method in 1904.

Given the facts - it is with a high degree of certainty that the grieving woman seen at the grave is Adalaide Case Woodworth; Frank's mother, and George’s wife.

Click to View
Grave number 13110, Section S of the Chattanooga National Cemetery | Plate: B3_283
Click or tap



Chattanooga Glass Plate Collection

Chattanooga High School
Location from 1897-1904

Chattanooga High School was founded in the fall of 1874. These photos show in never before seen detail, the school’s 5th location at the D. C. McMillin House on Gilmer (now 8th) Street. David Claiborne McMillin (1819-1897), was Chattanooga’s mayor during 1856.

Standing in the shadows in one photo is (very likely) Prof. Henry D. Wyatt, the father of the public school system in Chattanooga with CHS’s establishment in 1872. By 1901, his Vice-Principal was Fred H. Phillips, Jr. - a often photographed acquaintance of our likely photographer, Charles G. Walline.

Sources: "History of Chattanooga High School" by Elizabeth Kelley Wade 1974
Hamilton County Genealogy Society - Dennis Wilson
Click to View
Click to View
Click to View
Chattanooga Glass Plate Collection.

Group Photo

Remarkably, three members of this group and this particular event appear in photos from both here (photographer assumed to be Charles G. Walline), and also in a photo from the Charlie Coulter Glass Plate Collection - acquired at separate estate sales over 40 years apart.

C. G. Walline and his mother appear in another group photo on another day with several people seen in this photo. Suffice it to say, there was more than one photographer in the group.

Click to View

The gentleman in the center with the vest and coat has been identified as Charles R. Evans(1866-1920).

  • Dean of the Law Dept of the Univ. of Chattanooga.(1901-?)
  • City Attorney, 3 terms.
  • Vice President, Tennessee Bar Association
  • Judge: 6th Circuit of Tennessee (1911-?)

Location is unknown. Clues include a nearby creek with wood plank walking bridges and paths. Also, there appears to be a large pile of shale behind the group, possibly from past coal mining operations in the area.

Chattanooga Glass Plate Collection.

Behind the Lookout Mtn. Inn

A unique view behind the original destination of the Incline #2. Open year-round, the Lookout Inn was 365 feet long and four stories tall. It had two five-story towers, a huge network of wide porches and verandas, 450 rooms that could accommodate over 500 guests. It was built in 1890.

Thought to be fireproof, the inn was engulfed in a blaze Nov. 17, 1908, and the flames and smoke could be seen from downtown Chattanooga. At the time, only a few handfuls of guests were staying in the hotel. Luckily, they all escaped from harm.

Source: - Lost Chattanooga: The historic hotels on Lookout Mountain.
Click to View
From the Charlie Coulter Glass Plate Collection.

At the C.C. Shelton Flour Mill

While the original location on Market Street has been in the news lately by its unfortunate collapse, this photo is from the mill’s long-time 3-story location on South Broad Street. The building remained until 1991 when it was demolished.

By 1914, The Sheltons filed a trademark for "celebrated Hungarian Purity flour" and used "the Hungarian system." This photo appears to pre-date that.

Again, we see a generation embracing humor in photography. Note the straight-faced actions of 2 men on the front row, each grabbing the ear of a co-worker as the photo was taken.

Click to View