Remember When
Remember When...

As featured in the


Wonderful Twins

Jean and Jane Cunningham, identical twins, sit in the back of a Chevrolet convertible in this 1947 photo preserved at ChattanoogaHistory.com. The sisters had just returned from competing in the 1947 Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, N.J.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

News Free Press Archive

EPB Archive

A canyon of streetlights and neon in the Summer of 1964

Facing south on Market Street from Sixth Street, such landmarks at the old Martin Theater, the Hotel Patten, and the Planter's Peanuts Store can be seen.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Market Street Bridge 1953

On Feb. 12, 1953, a large dredge passing under the Market Street Bridge was the focus of a photo on the front page of the Chattanooga News-Free Press. The report noted the dredge was owned by the Dixie Sand and Gravel Co. and that it was headed to the Hiwassee Island area to dig for raw materials to be used by the Bowater Southern Paper Corp.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

News Free Press Archive

Lookout Mountain celebrated Labor Day 1975 with a Bicentennial-themed parade

News-Free Press writer Helen McDonald Exum described the scene: "The newly renovated shopping center on Lookout Mountain was ready to be dedicated. There was a tent for the barbecue over by the Baptist church. The band was tuning up their brass in the bandstand. There were huge American flags lining the streets."

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Chunkin' Pumpkins on Walden's Ridge

October, 1975

The photo, by newspaper photographer Robin Hood, shows young men from the Shepard's Lane Boys Ranch loading pumpkins into a trailer pulled by a tractor on the property of land-owner John Wooden.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 News Free Press Archive

1975 News Free Press Archive

Atlanta Hawks vs. New Orleans Jazz at UTC

On the night of Oct. 16, 1975, a near-capacity crowd of 4,177 packed UTC's Maclellan Gym to watch the NBA's Atlanta Hawks take on the New Orleans Jazz in an exhibition basketball game.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Hixson High School Color Guard

1975

The caption accompanying this photo set, which was taken by news photographer George Moody outside the school system's administrative offices on West 40th Street, notes that this event marked the kickoff of the school district's bicentennial celebrations during the 1975-76 school year.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 News Free Press Archive

1975 News Free Press Archive

Bill Battle
1975

In this 1975 photo, a young Bill Battle was the head coach of the University of Tennessee football team.

Despite a 59-22-2 cumulative record at UT (1970-76) and three national Top 10 finishes, Battle was forced out as coach of the Volunteers after the 1976 season to make way for Tennessee favorite son Johnny Majors, who had just coached the University of Pittsburgh Panthers to a national championship.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Miller Park

Sept. 3, 1975

This 1975 Chattanooga News-Free Press photo shows former Chattanooga mayor Robert Kirk Walker holding a sketch of the downtown park (later named Miller Park) which opened the following year.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 News Free Press Archive

1975 News Free Press Archive

UTC Cheerleaders
1975

It was discovered in a box of color slides found recently at the Chattanooga Times Free Press offices on East 11th Street, but we were unable to find evidence that the image was ever published in the newspaper. If anyone can identify these cheerleaders by name, please contact me.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Pity the poor opossum stuck on Opossum Creek

Oct. 18, 1975

This photo of an unfortunate opossum was shot at the intersection of Big Opossum Creek and Highway 27 near Bakewell. The caption says the opossum "took refuge on a tree astride the Highway 27 Bridge."

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

(Robin Hood) 1975 News Free Press Archive

1975 News Free Press Archive

Eastgate Mall
1975

Photo taken in 1975, when Eastgate was at or near the height of its popularity as a retail destination. Some of its anchor tenants in the 1970s were Miller Brothers and J.C. Penney department stores and a Morrison's Cafeteria.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Julia Belle Swain

The Julia Belle Swain was a popular stern-wheeler — a replica of a mid-19th century American steamboat.

For five years in the 1970s, it was the toast of Chattanooga. Built in 1971 by Dubuque (Iowa) Boat and Boiler Works, it was docked in Chattanooga from 1972 to 1977.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 News Free Press Archive

1975 News Free Press Archive

Jackie Mitchell

These 1975 archive newspaper photos show a 63-year-old Beatrice "Jackie" Mitchell Gilbert. On April 2, 1931, then a 17-year-old Chattanooga school girl, took the mound for the Chattanooga Lookouts in an exhibition game against the visiting New York Yankees — one of the world's most famous sports teams — and struck out baseball legends Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 Fire at Rogers Theater

From a box of Ektachrome color-positive film recently found at the Times Free Press offices on East 11th Street. Firefighters are seen in action after a popcorn machine caught fire.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives FP_Fire_RogersTheater1975

EPB Archives

Ridgedale
1962

In 1962, the intersection of E. Main Street and Dodds Avenue was part of a busy commercial district in Ridgedale, a section of the city at the base of Missionary Ridge.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 - History in Color
Bicentennial Library under contruction

This photo, recovered recently from a box of newspaper negatives found at the Times Free Press, shows the five-story building under construction at 1001 Broad St., between 10th and 11th streets.

The library, which replaced the former public library on McCallie Avenue, was a focus of community pride when it was completed in 1976, America's bicentennial year.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1975 News Free Press Archive

Free Press Archives

Big 4 Bike Shop
1930s-1980s

Big 4 Bike Shop was an enthusiasts' paradise, but nothing in the newspaper record explains the name: "Big 4." Do you know what it means?

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Photo by: Delmont Wilson

Photos of Chattanooga's lost neighborhood uncovered

A newly discovered batch of historic photos shows the once-proud homes of Cameron Hill before the west-side neighborhood was flattened by progress in the late 1950s.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

EPB Archives

Southland Volkswagen - 1965
5915 Brainerd Rd.

Visible behind the showroom glass are a Beetle, a VW Transporter (bus) and a Karmann Ghia, an Italian-influenced car with VW components.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Photo Credit: EPB Archives

Market St. View 1963

View from 5th St. looking north recalls several car dealers occupied this stretch of a busy retail zone including Newton Chevrolet, Buehler's Food Market, Jack's Army Store and Smith-Owens Rambler.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Photo Credit: EPB Archives

EPB Archives

EPB Archives

The Golden Gateway

This January 1965 photo shows the Zayre department store and Red Food Store shopping center in Golden Gateway, part of a sprawling mid-century "urban renewal" project west of downtown.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Photo Credit: EPB Archives

RED FOOD STORE

The photo is dated June 1964, and according to newspaper ads that month large watermelons were 89 cents each at Red Food Stores, ice cream sold for 59 cents a half-gallon and saltine crackers were 19 cents a box. Spam (spiced ham) and "potted meat" were also listed prominently in a full-page newspaper ad, which may say something about changing consumer tastes in the last 50-plus years.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

EPB Archives

Pat St. Charles Jr. Collection

History in color - Nov. 17, 1959

Mayor Olgiati, is pictured at the dedication ceremony of the Olgiati Bridge, which was tagged with his name while he was still in office. That day, Olgiati remarked, "I guess that an honor like this only comes to a man once in a lifetime. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Photo Credit: Pat St. Charles Jr.

The 'Downtown Sears'

Sears had occupied space on Sixth Street since the late 1920s, according to previous news reports, and would continue to operate downtown until 1988....

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives

Free Press Archives

Schroeder's Garden Center 1959

Located near the McCallie Avenue viaduct in Chattanooga: "Good landscaping doesn't just happen, it's planned and planted properly."...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Shared view of Glass Street

...the snapshot was found in a small envelope of photographs given to her about 25 years ago by a church friend.

Also found, an electric street car on the Boyce Line - click the photo to see them both.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Arlene Rogers

Free Press Archives

Trinity-Woodmore Methodist Church

Trinity Methodist Church dated to 1899 when two smaller congregations merged into a new church building 'on the southwest corner of McCallie Avenue and Park Avenue in the thickly settled residential area.' By 1964 there were 344 members on the church's rolls...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Chattanooga Neon & Electric Co.

The 1966 photo features Chattanooga Neon & Electric Co., a sign and wiring business then located at 801 North Market Street. William A. Jewell started his company in 1913, then called St. Elmo Electric...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives

Free Press Archives

May Pole dancers - 1964

It took some digging but we discovered that this 1964 Chattanooga News-Free Press photo was taken at the May Day celebration at Chattanooga Central High School, then located on Dodds Avenue...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Dairy Gold - Brainerd

The Dairy Gold restaurant, near the corner of Brainerd and Moore roads, was a favorite cruising spot for teens in 1963, the year this photo appeared in the Chattanooga News-Free Press. The address, 4903 Brainerd Road, is now the site of a Waffle House restaurant...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives

Free Press Archives

Andy Trotter

"For more than 20 years, beginning in the 1950s, Trotter-family car dealerships here made yearly gifts of vehicles to the United Cerebral Palsy Evaluation Center..."

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Uncle Herman's Chattanooga Shoe Store

For much of its run from late 1920s until the early 1980s, the shoe store in the 800 block of Market Street revolutionized off-price retailing...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives

Free Press Archives

Miniture Museum

"The mini-museum photo reveals a lot about Chattanooga in the mid-1960s — including the fact that children from Sunnyside School would swarm a history exhibit housed in a trailer."

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

The Read House

Read House historian says the spirit in Room 311 takes up a lot of oxygen for a ghost

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives

Fire Safety!

This photograph from 1953 was part of a blitz of media coverage for Fire Prevention Week, which was supported wholeheartedly by mid-century public officials, civic leaders and ordinary citizens alike.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

LeGrand Jewelry Co. - 604 Market St.

"Buy the sterling silver you have always wanted at an amazingly low price. First time ever offered on sale!"

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Signal Crest UMC 1964

A 1964 photograph from the Chattanooga Free Press shows a building addition nearing completion at Signal Crest United Methodist Church on Ridgeway Ave. on Signal Mountain.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1966 - 8.4" snowfall.

In late January, a snow storm dumped more than 8 inches of snow on the city. The next day temperatures dipped below zero.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Fountain of Youth

In a burst of late-summer bliss, children in 1947 streamed into the intersection of Douglas and East Eighth streets in Chattanooga after a water main was accidentally punctured by a worker.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Thanks for the memories!

Shared photos in 2020

See photo selections from people who shared historic Chattanooga area photos over the past year.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives FP_1964_35mm_neg_img633

Remembering The Goat Man

1964

For a good chunk of the 20th century, Charles "Goat Man" McCartney was a fixture in the South, a vagabond who wandered from state to state leading up to 30 goats.

McCartney is shown here in a 1964 Chattanooga Free Press photo dressed in his trademark overalls and railroad cap while on a swing through southeastern Tennessee.

The subject of a book and two documentary films, McCartney was a folk legend who traveled America's rural backroads as a self-styled minister and prophet from the 1930s to the 1980s.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

OK Used Cars

1204 Broad St. - 1948

Over a half-century ago, automotive dealers thrived downtown along Broad Street where the TVA complex now occupies.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives FP_May1948_Delmont_Wilson_img499

Free Press Archives FP_1953_Bob_Sherrill_img931

Riverview Dairy Gold

1953

This 1953 Chattanooga Free Press photo shows the former Dairy Gold restaurant on Hixson Pike back when soft-serve ice cream and hamburgers hot off the grill were the bee's knees...

Locals may recognize this intersection of Hixson Pike and Dorchester Road as the center of a still-bustling retail and restaurant district in the Riverview area. Some of the houses in the background at the corner of Worthington Street and Hixson Pike remain there 67 years later.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Liggett Drugs - 7th & Market Streets

1953

Liggett's occupied the building at 630 Market St. from 1920 to 1962. It's now the home of United Way of Greater Chattanooga.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives FP_1953_Bob_Sherrill_img186

EPB Archives Brock_Candy_1952_01

Brock Candy Co.

1952

When Chattanooga was home to a confection empire.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

CLICK TO VIEW

EPB Archives EPB_McKee_Bakery_1958_05

McKee Bakery

1958

Behind the Scenes | Birth of a Jelly Roll

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

McDonald Farm Ice Cream

1966

At one point in the 20th century, the 2,100-acre farm also operated a creamery in Sale Creek, which produced ice cream, milk, butter and cheese. The dairy goods were distributed to the McDonald family's Home Stores, a grocery chain which at its peak had 70 locations, according to newspaper archives...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives January_1966_img775

Free Press Archives October_1_1949_Delmont_Wilson_img117

Carver Memorial Hospital

1949

Carver Memorial Hospital served the Black community here for 15 years during an era of segregation. It was one of the few municipally owned, tax-supported hospitals for Blacks in the US. When it opened in June 1947, it was fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons and the National Hospital Association. It had an operating room, laboratory, X-ray facilities and a maternity and nursery suite. There were 45 adult beds, five pediatric beds and 11 bassinettes.

This image was almost lost due to degradation of the film negative - evident here. Fortunately it was scanned by the staff of the former Chattanooga History Center. Tens of thousands of film negatives remain unscanned in this collection - stored at the UTC and Public Library. It is unclear if they will ever be digitized. Many are decomposing on the shelves now.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Mystery Restaurant

Wednesday, December, 17th, 1958 at 8pm

A coy cashier looks away from the camera while taking a call. Despite all the details in the photo, none give away the location of this Chattanooga area restaurant. Many will enjoy this familiar view, identified as likely The Texan Restaurant at 1090 McCallie Ave.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives December_1958_img427

EPB Archives EPB_Armed_forces_day_parade_May_1958_15

Miss Chattanooga

1958

Melva Jean (Lindsey) McNice

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Northbound Dixie Flyer - 1953

A crystal clear view of the past is featured from a medium format photo negative. One of EPB's earliest employees and 'Safety Engineer' from 1940-1956, H. G. Pruett is shown visiting the rail yards that once defined Chattanooga.

Thanks to rail enthusiast Justin Strickland, we know the locomotive is the Dixie Flyer; operated by the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

EPB Archives EPB_Pruett_NCSTL_01

Free Press Archive FP_Oct_1950_Delmont_Wilson_img961

Rossville Blvd.

1950

A very different Rossville.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

1947 Diner

Common scene, mystery location...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archive FP_April_1947_Wilson_img472

Free Press Archive FP_1953_Bob_Sherrill__img964

Home Stores

Birthplace of the Free Press

Roy McDonald began publishing an advertising circular in 1933. He called it The Free Press. It was delivered free door to door and was packed with news of what could be bought at his chain of groceries, the Home Stores.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Incline Drug and Surgical Co.

At the base of the Incline Railway from 1939 - 1996.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archive FP_Jan_1960_John_F_Goforth_img196

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Tomlisons_01

Tomlinson's

"At least once a day, preferably in the cool of the evening, one should throw all cares to the world and dine leisurely and well."

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Beauties in a Boat

April 1947

With nothing to go on - we look to you to find the identity of six lovely ladies posing in and inflatable raft. Their oars likely remained dry...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives FP_April_12_1947_Wilson_img258

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Big_Scramble_2

The Birth of an Interstate

~1960

Construction of I-24, facing west. Market Street is in foreground. The adjacent construction is the'I-124 spur', now TN State Highway 27.

SOURCE: Perry Mayo. Scan from original medium format negative.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Kay's Kastles

September 1959

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Free Press Archives FP_Sep_1959_Gorforth_img757

George Baker Collection George_Baker_Times_002

Almost lost - Walnut Street Bridge

Spring 1992 - just prior to restoration efforts.

Chattanooga's iconic new bridge was dedicated in February of 1891 with much fanfare. After all, it had been almost a quarter century since the city had a bridge - the last one washing away in floodwaters of 1867. One-hundred years later it faced an uncertain future. I remember my dad taking my sister and me to walk on the bridge one last time before it closed in 1978. Like most, he thought demolition was in its future.

This 28-year-old photo is the most current image on the website. It was donated by the family of Chattanooga Times photographer George Baker. A handfull of negatives were found - all that remained of a long career, yet we're thankful for every one.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

'The formal opening... will be commensurate with the importance of the occasion, and of a character giving abundant room for an opportunity to indulge in enthusiasm and jubilancy.'

Rev. Billy Graham at Engle Stadium

October 22nd, 1950

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_Oct_1950_Delmont_Wilson_img976

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_October_25_1947_Wilson_img077

White Oak Hardware

1947

Dayton Blvd., Red Bank.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Racial divisions of the past...

In February 1960 - Howard High School students led peaceful sit-ins at segregated lunch counters. Soon, each afternoon stores began closing down their lunch counter service - and sometimes their doors in response.

A small group of white youth mobs responded with inflammatory language and violence. So too gathered many onlookers each afternoon - drawn by natural interest in a spectacle. Tensions rose.

By the third day, Mayor Rudy Olgiatti instructed the fire department to utilize water hoses on crowds if trouble broke out. And when it did - Chattanooga became the first city to employ such a tactic on demonstrators (black & white)*. Calmer heads prevailed and the daily events subsided.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_February_1960_Bill_Truex_img193

On Aug. 5, following extensive negotiations between pastors and merchants, black diners at several lunch counters in downtown Chattanooga finally received service.

“I'm gratified to see the community take such a forward step. I feel this is the American way of life.” 1
James R. Mapp, president of the local chapter of the NAACP
"I recognize the responsibility of every citizen throughout the world to find answers to the troubled times rather than being an abiding part of the problems." 1
Carl Allen, President of the Chattanooga Pastor Association
1 Unfamiliar Streets: The Chattanooga Sit-ins, the Local Press, and the Concern for Civilities , Jessie Harris - Virginia Commonwealth University

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_Dec_1950_Wilson_img902

Moskin's

Dress up the family on CREDIT!

Time for some 1950 window shopping at 906 Market Street.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Gateway Motel

...opened in January of 1951, described as 'ultra modern' with 18 guest rooms that command a sweeping and scenic view. There were also three 6-room cabins.

At the time, the Bachman Tubes (East Ridge Tunnels) were truly the gateway into Chattanooga - with the interstate still several years away.

The new motel was managed by Sam Abel, the son of a Russian immagrant who operated motels and hotels in Atlanta.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Perry Mayo Donation PM_BachmanTunnel_04

EPB of Chattanooga EPBdemoChurch1953_02

Church Demolition 1953

The First Christian Church occupied this building from 1910-1952, when a new building was dedicated at 650 McCallie Ave.

You may recognize the location as the parking lot between the courthouse and the Flatiron Building.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Camp Joy

'Where Boys and Girls Begin to Live'

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_Aug1951_Delmont_Wilson_img657

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Cameron_view_06

Cameron Hill - Razed.

Urban Renewal & the creation of the Golden Gateway

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Mike's BBQ

4211 Rossville Blvd.

The sign of the dancing pig...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

SOURCE: EPB Archives - scan from medium format negative.

EPB of Chattanooga EPB_night_signs_Mikes_BBQ

EPB of Chattanooga EPBDonMIllsRestaurantsMay1962_04

Shoney's of Hixson

May 1962

Chattanooga's first Shoney's restaurant opened as 'Shap's Big Boy'. The unique architecture remains, but the restaurant and drive-in are only a memory.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

CLICK TO VIEW

Highland Plaza

1962

As Hixson grew from rural lands to thriving suburbs, developers saw a need for closeby retail options.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

SOURCE: EPB Archives - scan from medium format negative.

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Highland_Plaza

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Olgiati_Dedication_09

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Olgiati_Bridge_02

Olgiati Bridge

Bridge dedication November 20th, 1959

Peter Rudolph "Rudy" Olgiati was the 55th Mayor of Chattanooga, Tennessee from 1951 to 1963. During his time in office, Olgiati oversaw the arrival of the interstate highway, the beginning of the Civil Rights movement, and the city's first urban renewal project. He is often accused of being one of Chattanooga's last political bosses.

He is also the namesake of Chattanooga's P.R. Olgiati Bridge. SOURCE: Wikipedia

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Power for Peace

1958

EPB's entry into the 1958 Armed Forces Day Parade as seen on Market Street at the current day Warehouse Row location.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Back left: Carol Emmett Haas; Back right: Margaret Alice Cooper Dantzler

TAP IMAGE TO VIEW FULL PHOTO

EPB of Chattanooga EPB_Armed forces day parade May 1958_03

Perry Mayo Donation PM_N_Market_at_Cherokee_06

North Market at Frazier

Despite many changes, it's still a very recognizable view of 5 o'clock traffic at this busy intersection.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

A different Chattanooga...

A view of downtown as it was in the late 1950s. Many buildings are gone, yet many still remain.

Special thanks to Perry Mayo for sharing original medium format negatives taken by the Chattanooga Public Works Dept.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Downtown_05

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_July_23_1949_Delmont_Wilson_img899

Soap Box Derby

1949 Soap Box Derby winner Y.L. Coker Jr. is pictured with his proud mother, Dollie.

His father owned a grocery store on Brainerd Rd. That store can be seen on this page.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Brainerd Cleaners

3105-7 Brainerd Road

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Nearby Businesses, 1946

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_April_21_1946_Wilson_img423

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_June_21_1947_Wilson_img473

Down by the River

The Gordon C. Greene was built as "Cape Girardeau" in 1923 and was renamed several times.

It appeared in several movies including Gone with the Wind. By 1964 it was renamed as "River Queen" and moved to St. Louis (MO) and used as restaurant.

On the morning of 3 December 1967, the River Queen sank at her moorings.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Fowler Brothers Co.

701 Broad Street

Fowler Brothers Company began in 1885 by James G Sterchi. He started selling goods door to door out of a horse drawn buggy. He and is brother, John Calvin Sterchi, and his son in law, John O Fowler, opened Sterchi Brothers and Fowler, located in downtown Chattanooga, in 1911.

The first Chattanooga store was located next to the Tivoli Theatre at Seventh and Broad Streets.

SOURCE: ThePatioShop.com

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_Jan_1960_John_F_Goforth_img028

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_April_1947_Wilson_img251

Army Day Parade, 1947

From 1929 until 1949, April 6th was celebrated as 'Army Day' - the anniversary date of the United States' entry into World War I.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Furlow-Cate Ford

315 Broad Street

Before Forrest Cate Ford, there was Furlow Cate-Ford

Auto dealer ancestry...

READ MORE

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_JAN_1960_Goforth_img128

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP-FEB1960_Truex_img185

Loveman's 1960

A downtown building still bears the name of a retailer who served Chattanooga for over 113 years.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Rogers Theater

919 Market Street

When it opened in 1951, it was promoted as “The South’s finest, ultra-modern motion picture theater."

The theater closed in 1976 and was demolished in 1980.

READ MORE

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP-JUN1960_Goforth_img570

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP-OCT1953_Goforth_img533

Have a Coke

An iconic look back from October, 1953. Do you recognize anyone in this photo?

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

UPDATE:

All 7 people identified.

    Left to right:

  • ■  Eugene Trotter, Esq.
  • ■  Gail Williams Poe
  • ■  Patsy Davenport Lemmons
  • ■  Burlee Lackey Malone
  • ■  Louise Moore Picklesimer
  • ■  Margie Hatfield Harris
  • ■  Ernest Bacon

Full story by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.