Shared by Connie Cooper Jones, great-granddaughter of photographer W. H. Stokes.
'Baron Emile D'Erlanger, the chief official of the Queen and Crescent Route, visited the United States to inspect his railroad properties in 1889.
A lavish banquet was prepared to honor Baron Erlanger at the Stanton House. On the evening of April 12, Dr. G.A. Baxter, surgeon for the Queen and Crescent Route, decided to take advantage of the occasion to enlist Baron Erlanger in the drive to build a hospital in Chattanooga.
The wealthy visitor immediately declared that he would give $5,000 toward the establishment of the Chattanooga hospital. This fund became the foundation of a hospital in Chattanooga that was named for Baron Erlanger’s wife, the Baroness Erlanger.'- John Wilson, Chattanooga’s Story
Likely 1907, with a shiny new James Building now dominating the left side of the street. A block closer, Miller's Department Store arrow banners are hard to miss.
And closest to the viewer, The Phoenix Building(s) built in 1898 in their original grandeur. Only two of the five original sections remain today.
Originally known as James Hall, later, the 'New Opera House' - and then renovated as the Lyric Theater, this was the cultural epicenter of the city and home to many memorable performances. A generation of Chattanoogan's likely saw their first movie (photo play) here.
In 1923, it was razed to build offices of the Tennessee Electric Power Company. From 1935 to 2005, it was the location of the Electric Power Board (EPB).
The #1 Fire Hall was completed in 1902. The crew of Fire Hall #1 responded to calls from 54 public alarm boxes which were connected through a telegraph system. The city directory offered instructions to the public on how to use the alarm boxes. In 1911, #1 Fire Hall received the city’s first automobile-based fire engine.Remembering The Chattanooga Fire Department, by Harmon Jolley - Chattanoogan.com 11/1/04
A grand hotel of the Gilded Age once stood at the top on the Incline Railway. The Lookout Mountain Inn opened in 1890. But burned to the ground on the night of November 17th, 1908.
Despite its popularity, the inn often was in financial trouble. In 1899 Read House operator Sam Read agreed to manage the Lookout Inn. By 1903 the inn had been through some renovations, including the addition of a billiard hall and a casino. Guests could eat as early as 5 a.m. and as late as midnight in the dining hall, which measured over 115 feet in length and could serve more than 600 guests at once. Originally, the inn would open for the season in late May or early June, usually with an opening ball. Eventually, to make more money, the inn remained open all year. The Chattanooga Times Free Press, Steven Cox, 1/4/2009
Charles W. Forstner was an early auto pioneer in Chattanooga, opening the first dealership here in 1905. His sons also worked in the business, including Ed D. Forstner. Ed would marry William’s daughter, Helen Stokes prior to her father’s untimely death in 1922. Ed continued working as a photographer for decades.