Remember When
Remember When...

As featured in the


Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP-OCT1953_Goforth_img533

Have a Coke

An iconic look back from October, 1953. Do you recognize anyone in this photo?

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

UPDATE:

All 7 people identified.

    Left to right:

  • ■  Eugene Trotter, Esq.
  • ■  Gail Williams Poe
  • ■  Patsy Davenport Lemmons
  • ■  Burlee Lackey Malone
  • ■  Louise Moore Picklesimer
  • ■  Margie Hatfield Harris
  • ■  Ernest Bacon

Full story by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Rogers Theater

919 Market Street

When it opened in 1951, it was promoted as “The South’s finest, ultra-modern motion picture theater."

The theater closed in 1976 and was demolished in 1980.

READ MORE

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP-JUN1960_Goforth_img570

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP-FEB1960_Truex_img185

Loveman's 1960

A downtown building still bears the name of a retailer who served Chattanooga for over 113 years.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Furlow-Cate Ford

315 Broad Street

Before Forrest Cate Ford, there was Furlow Cate-Ford

Auto dealer ancestry...

READ MORE

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_JAN_1960_Goforth_img128

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_April_1947_Wilson_img251

Army Day Parade, 1947

From 1929 until 1949, April 6th was celebrated as 'Army Day' - the anniversary date of the United States' entry into World War I.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Fowler Brothers Co.

701 Broad Street

Fowler Brothers Company began in 1885 by James G Sterchi. He started selling goods door to door out of a horse drawn buggy. He and is brother, John Calvin Sterchi, and his son in law, John O Fowler, opened Sterchi Brothers and Fowler, located in downtown Chattanooga, in 1911.

The first Chattanooga store was located next to the Tivoli Theatre at Seventh and Broad Streets.

SOURCE: ThePatioShop.com

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_Jan_1960_John_F_Goforth_img028

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_June_21_1947_Wilson_img473

Down by the River

The Gordon C. Greene was built as "Cape Girardeau" in 1923 and was renamed several times.

It appeared in several movies including Gone with the Wind. By 1964 it was renamed as "River Queen" and moved to St. Louis (MO) and used as restaurant.

On the morning of 3 December 1967, the River Queen sank at her moorings.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Brainerd Cleaners

3105-7 Brainerd Road

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Nearby Businesses, 1946

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_April_21_1946_Wilson_img423

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_July_23_1949_Delmont_Wilson_img899

Soap Box Derby

1949 Soap Box Derby winner Y.L. Coker Jr. is pictured with his proud mother, Dollie.

His father owned a grocery store on Brainerd Rd. That store can be seen on this page.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

A different Chattanooga...

A view of downtown as it was in the late 1950s. Many buildings are gone, yet many still remain.

Special thanks to Perry Mayo for sharing original medium format negatives taken by the Chattanooga Public Works Dept.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Downtown_05

Perry Mayo Donation PM_N_Market_at_Cherokee_06

North Market at Frazier

Despite many changes, it's still a very recognizable view of 5 o'clock traffic at this busy intersection.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Power for Peace

1958

EPB's entry into the 1958 Armed Forces Day Parade as seen on Market Street at the current day Warehouse Row location.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Back left: Carol Emmett Haas; Back right: Margaret Alice Cooper Dantzler

TAP IMAGE TO VIEW FULL PHOTO

EPB of Chattanooga EPB_Armed forces day parade May 1958_03

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Olgiati_Dedication_09

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Olgiati_Bridge_02

Olgiati Bridge

Bridge dedication November 20th, 1959

Peter Rudolph "Rudy" Olgiati was the 55th Mayor of Chattanooga, Tennessee from 1951 to 1963. During his time in office, Olgiati oversaw the arrival of the interstate highway, the beginning of the Civil Rights movement, and the city's first urban renewal project. He is often accused of being one of Chattanooga's last political bosses.

He is also the namesake of Chattanooga's P.R. Olgiati Bridge. SOURCE: Wikipedia

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Highland Plaza

1962

As Hixson grew from rural lands to thriving suburbs, developers saw a need for closeby retail options.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

SOURCE: EPB Archives - scan from medium format negative.

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Highland_Plaza

EPB of Chattanooga EPBDonMIllsRestaurantsMay1962_04

Shoney's of Hixson

May 1962

Chattanooga's first Shoney's restaurant opened as 'Shap's Big Boy'. The unique architecture remains, but the restaurant and drive-in are only a memory.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

CLICK TO VIEW

Mike's BBQ

4211 Rossville Blvd.

The sign of the dancing pig...

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

SOURCE: EPB Archives - scan from medium format negative.

EPB of Chattanooga EPB_night_signs_Mikes_BBQ

Perry Mayo Donation PM_Cameron_view_06

Cameron Hill - Razed.

Urban Renewal & the creation of the Golden Gateway

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Camp Joy

'Where Boys and Girls Begin to Live'

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Chattanooga Free Press Archive FP_Aug1951_Delmont_Wilson_img657

EPB of Chattanooga EPBdemoChurch1953_02

Church Demolition 1953

The First Christian Church occupied this building from 1910-1952, when a new building was dedicated at 650 McCallie Ave.

You may recognize the location as the parking lot between the courthouse and the Flatiron Building.

Read more about it by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Gateway Motel

...opened in January of 1951, described as 'ultra modern' with 18 guest rooms that command a sweeping and scenic view. There were also three 6-room cabins.

At the time, the Bachman Tubes (East Ridge Tunnels) were truly the gateway into Chattanooga - with the interstate still several years away.

The new motel was managed by Sam Abel, the son of a Russian immigrant who operated motels and hotels in Atlanta.

Read more by Mark Kennedy at TIMESFREEPRESS.COM*

*link opens to external site that may not be accessible to non-subscribers.

Perry Mayo Donation PM_BachmanTunnel_04